Monday, October 13, 2008

Everyone must vote!

I’ve been worried about this presidential election — afraid my candidate won’t win. I know it will be a disaster if my guy loses. What will I do? How am I going to feel Nov. 5 if the wrong individual gets in the White House?

Well, my questions were answered recently in my weekly Bible study which is all about the life of Moses.

We looked at the 400-year enslavement of the Israelites and learned that God remains the same as yesterday for today and tomorrow. And no matter what happens, God is in control. Now, I’m hoping it won’t take a 400-year enslavement period before we experience relief if the wrong man becomes king of this country. But even if it does, I know that God is in control of my life.

After several weeks of studying the life of Moses, I’m finding lots of interesting life lessons in the pages of Genesis and Exodus.

Now for any of you who may like to find some Biblical advice for the direction in which to cast your vote this year, check out the words in 1Samuel regarding the selection of David as king of Israel. God told the prophet Samuel that what’s important is the heart of the candidate. “Do not look at his appearance or his stature... Man does not see what the Lord sees, for man sees what is visible, but the Lord sees the heart.” 1Samuel 16:7.

Or you could just follow my pastor’s advice. Rev. Jimmy Tarrant said Sunday morning, everyone should vote. He cited Isaiah 6:1-4 and explained it was a tough time for Isaiah. King Uzziah had died after maintaining more than 50 years of peace for the people of Judah. During the time Uzziah was faithful to the Lord, he and his nation prospered and much of the strength and influence that had been Israel’s in the days of David and Solomon was restored.

Isaiah was in despair to think of the future of his country without the good king. But God showed Isaiah a vision of God on his throne — completely in control.

Brother Jimmy’s advice? Pray first and then vote for the candidate who shares your Christian values and his comments even drew a muffled cheer from the pews of our church.

This year, in this election, I’m going to follow my pastor’s advice with confidence that God will continue to be in control no matter which side wins. It’s what men are going to do after the election that has me bothered.

See you at the polls.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I was passing through and have to respect your post. I agree with the fact that God is always in control and has complete rule at all times (despite what ruler may be in office). I just wanted to share a thank you for relighting that in my heart. Sometimes, especially in eletion times when we what our guy to win, it is easy to get into that and put aside who is really head of all and trust in Him completly. Jenni