Monday, October 13, 2008

Respect for Old Glory

During football season I enjoy a well-rounded tour of Texoma area football stadiums. My assignment is usually a different school each week so, by the end of the season and, now after working this way through seven or eight years of those seasons, I’ve been getting around.

I’ve noticed the last few years, a difference in the response of crowds to the playing of the “Star Spangled Banner” before the game kicks off. A few weeks ago, I was shocked to notice a small group of women sitting at a picnic table. When the music to honor Old Glory started, they barely stopped their conversation. They did eventually turn their attention to the flag waving at one end of the stadium, but they never stood.

I’ve been in some stadiums where the fans in stadium seats had mixed reactions when the tribute sounded. Most stood and some placed their hands over their hearts. But many did not.

Two weeks ago, my game was at Blue Ridge. It’s a 1A school in size but seems to have great fans and big hearts. The announcer asked everyone to stand for the playing of “our National Anthem as we honor Old Glory,” and everyone did. I mean EVERYONE.

I looked at the field where the football players and cheerleaders lined up along the field’s side line and every, single one of those students stood up straight, turned toward the stadium’s flagpole and placed their hands over their hearts to show their respect. I don’t remember seeing that in any high school stadium.

Then I looked around at the home stands and it was the same thing. I think patriotism is important to the people in Blue Ridge and it was wonderful to see.

I am honored to write newspaper stories from time to time about our soldiers who serve this country weather in harms way or in less risky situations. I’ve seen up close the price they and their families pay to do what they do and it is significant.

Paying homage to Old Glory is nothing more than showing respect for the principles of our country which is still the greatest nation in the world. Those people who serve to protect her take that respect very seriously and so do I.

Help me spread the word.

No comments: