Monday, November 24, 2008

Role Models in my church

I stumbled across a quote I once read. I liked it well enough to write it down but must offer apologies to its author because I didn’t make a note of his or her name.

As I look at it today, I think of Julia and Bill Jacks in Van Alstyne. I’ll bet everyone reading this knows someone to whom this applies: “Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.”

Bill’s illnesses have kept him from attending services for some time and that has worsened. Until illness overtook him a few years ago, he was helping out at church whenever his skills fit the need.

It never surprised me to run by the church to drop something off or pick something up and find him in his coveralls with a hammer or saw in his hand and always with a big smile.

Julia also has been a servant in a variety of areas in our church. I’ve watched this beautiful couple, the past 20 years, enjoy their lives, their friends, their church and family. Bill played many years in a local country western band.

Thank God for those wonderful people in our lives who set such fine examples for the rest of us.

No comments: