Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Daddy


Today (Thanksgiving) is my father’s birthday, and if still on this earth, he would be turning 100.

I’m not sure if he ever thought he might reach 100 but he often said, “Getting old is no picnic, but it’s better than the alternative.”

Today, families are gathering around the dinner table for a traditional feast of turkey and trimmings while others take a less traditional approach to include a menu of family favorites. If it’s anything like my family, they’ll each say something for which they’re thankful this year.

What I usually say is something like, being thankful for my faith and family and a free country. This year I’m thankful for my parents and all they’ve invested in me.

My father, Joseph Montry, was a “jack of all trades.” He was one of those guys who could truly do just about anything with his hands. He could fix or build anything, and he could talk your ear off. He was a people person and, though he never finished the eighth grade in formal education, he never stopped learning. He was one of the top managers at the National Supply Company in Gainesville and provided a comfortable life for his family. I always thought that was remarkable. He made sure each of his children had every education opportunity they wanted.

I still have vivid memories of him sitting in "his" chair, usually reading a book. It was the highlight of many a grandchild to sit in the chair with Papa. He demonstrated untold patience with each grandchild, and it wasn't hard to see, he loved them deeply.

I bring this up to point out we are each a product of what our parents have instilled in us. I learned from my dad how to work on a car’s engine and how to build things. I realize now, his investment in me gave me a sense of confidence and made me believe I could do whatever I put my mind to.

My dad was also patriotic and taught me to appreciate what the sacrifice of others has provided for me.

So, today, I say thanks to the military men and women standing in the gap for our freedom. Also, “Thank you, Daddy, and happy birthday.” And to all of you, “Happy Thanksgiving.”

No comments: